Palace Green Road
8 Palace Green is a Grade II listed, six-storey building (two below ground level) situated along Kensington Palace Gardens. Brooks Murray were asked to renovate this early twentieth century bespoke to the needs of the client, whilst restoring period features and raising the value of the property.
Construction of the street, the southern stretch of Kensington Palace Gardens between Notting Hill and Kensington, began in the 1840s. The scale and grandeur of the properties bankrupted one of the first developers, yet by 1860 it was known as “millionaires’ row”. The size of the houses requiring large numbers of staff to maintain them, it was occupied by merchants, landowners and fund managers.
Gradually, throughout the 20th century, the houses became unaffordable to run as family homes, even for bankers, and the buildings were sold off as ambassadors’ residences. It is only in the last couple of decades that the buildings have been transferred back, gradually, into private hands.